Here’s an update to the post from yesterday. Today is much more rough. Francis took a turn for the worse overnight. Read on for the details.
Yesterday Francis had a pretty good day. All the worry about the reinsertion of the NG tube yesterday morning was unnecessary. Upon removal, we discovered that the tube was kinked, so repositioning would have been worthless.
Francis was very combative after the removal, and I was a little worried he may throw the nurse in Incredible Hulk fashion if she tried to reinsert the tube right away, so we asked for a break and some Ativan.
When the nurse returned from asking the doctor for the Ativan, she said the doctor told her to hold off reinsertion as long as there was no nausea and Francis was comfortable. Woohoo!
After that news, Francis slept most of the day. By mid-afternoon he was awake and alert, and we actually walked a lap around the floor a couple times.
Francis suggested I go home and have dinner and spend the evening with Couper and Riley and relieve Melissa, our babysitter. I left him comfortable, in good spirits, and settling in for a nap.
I spoke with Francis briefly, and he had the chance to talk to Couper on the phone around 7:00 PM. We got interrupted by a nurse, so I told him I’d call him after I got the kids in bed.
When I called Francis around 8:30 or 9:00, I woke him up. Bad wife! To make matters worse, there wasn’t anything to report.
At 12:30 AM, Francis texted to let me know they were reinserting the NG tube. He told me he was bloated and that they made the decision to address that promptly.
I slept as fast as I could and got up at 5:30 so I could be in his room when the doctors made rounds this morning.
Francis is pretty uncomfortable and very tired. Between increasing pain and intermittent hiccup attacks that are plaguing him, he’s been unable to rest most of the night. He’s had some bouts of nausea, but the doctor ordered more anti-nausea medication which seems to be working.
The doctor is going to discuss Francis’s case with the radiologist and surgeon to determine what the best course of action should be. He also told me that he would likely need to contact information for our team at MD Anderson so he could reach them directly to consult with them and discuss treatment here or a possible transfer to Houston for further treatment.
My mom is flying down to Tallahassee this evening. So we’re getting more reinforcements, not to diminish the continued support from family and friends. We have great family and friends who continue to encourage, comfort, love us and most importantly love our children when we need to be here at the hospital and focused on Francis’s healing.
This brings me to the hopes and goals for today: 1.) Blockage disappears or diminishes, 2.) Pain is controlled and Francis can stay comfortable, 3.) Hiccups go away and stay away, 4.) Sleep for Francis, 5.) Safe travels for my mom, 6.) Wisdom and cooperation for the doctors and medical staff as they begin to craft a new treatment plan for today.